Wednesday, October 14, 2009

flip books

This was a fun assignment. I went with moving shapes and spirals and played with their movement due to lack of a better idea, but I was really impressed with the storylines some of the class came up with. Noteably in that aspect Ellery's had a colorful environmental message and I liked the repetitiveness of the tree re-growing only to be destroyed. Gina's Pinocchio continued to look happy even after getting his nose clipped, is this a statement about circumcision? Regardless, it was funny. Greg's was very creative and well done, I especially liked the movement of the title and how someone was trying to get through the paper. Maria took a different route than everybody else by cutting out actual pictures which was a great effect -like watching an old movie- and avoided any drawing (I wish I had thought of that). Kasey's cute little ant had to work pretty hard to build it's little hill, only to get rained on but at least it got a flower in the end. Also I like how Cara's very colorful and adorable batman apparently killed himself. Other flip books had clear and often fantasitc transitions and were more playful and abstract. Dylan's read like a poem to me, I liked the parachute guy. I really liked Andrea's bird and the 3D perspective of how it moved back into the pages. Lea had some fun transitions- bouncy ball to weather to tree to fire to boat- there's some kind of storyline in there. Brin's was especially happy with all of the hearts and people jumping. Mike's was particularly abstract subject material with very creative and well done transitions and movement. Speaking of abstract, Cara's homicidal storm of stoves was both creative and funny. All in all it was really interesting at how different everyone's approach to this assignment was. Before I only had a few ideas of what to put in a flip book but now I have a ton.

1 comment: